IGO gained popularity in early 80’s of the last century, thus it has remained until nowadays and resonates strongly with the audience in Latvia and beyond its borders.
The future singer was born on 29 June, 1962, in Liepaja – the city with ancient and interesting cultural traditions. He graduated the musical school on a class of violin, and the course of vocal at Liepaja Musical College. IGO started singing and writing poetry from his childhood.
Since 1978 the name of Igo is inextricably linked to the history of Latvian rock music. Early in his career Igo actively gave concerts with such groups as “Corpus” (1978-1980), “Līvi” (1980-1984), “Liepājas kvartets” (1983-1985), “Remix” (1985-1990), “Rīga” (USA, 1990-1991), “Liepājas brāļi”.
In 1984 IGO was awarded with the title of the best singer at the contest “Liepajas dzintars -84”. In 1986 he took the Grand Prix at the contest of young performers of the USSR – the Festival “Jurmala-86”, and took the II prize and the Audience Main Prize at the International Singer Festival “Man and sea” in Rostock.
In 1990 IGO started his solo career.
Throughout his artistic career IGO has recorded several CD volumes with the bands “Līvi”” and “Remix”, and also issued his solo CD volumes and DVD’s.
The artist worked in the Latvian National Opera for several years. He sang the lead parts in such rock-operas as “The Hunchback of Notre-Dame” (1997), “Lachplesis” (1998), in the musicle “Gelsomino in the Land of Liars” (1998), in the opera “From Rose and Blood” (2000), in the musicle “Angel and Devil” (2007).
IGO sings in Latvian, Russian, English, German and Estonian languages. He has given concerts around Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia, Germany, Austria, Poland, Finland, Sweden, Norway, Uzbekistan, Belgium, Luxemburg, Greece and the USA.
It’s as if he goes beyond the set boundaries in music, making a fusion of different, often opposite musical styles – rock, jazz, blues, pop-music, classics – and he does it in his own inimitable style.
IGO’s talent has many sides. He is not only a magnificent and well-loved singer and composer, poet, but also a writer. Four books by IGO were published: “Bezgalīgs tuvums” (2006), collection of stories and poetry with illustrations “Viss palēnām notiek” (2008), book of poems “Debesis karstas” (2014), the book “Mans Ziemassvētku stāsts” (2014).
He also paints and draws in pencil. IGO actively participates in different charity projects.
In 2015 IGO was awarded with the Order of the Three Stars of V class (Chevalier).
Official IGO’s web-site : http://www.igo-mm.lv
- “Klusums starp mums” (LP, 1991, CD, 2003).
- 1997 – volume “Savādā pasaule”, a tribute to Talsi tragedy.
- 1998 – Best IGO’s songs “Tas ir IGO” 2 CD’s.
- 1999 – the first IGO’s solo volume “”Bet dzīvē viss ir savādāk”.
- 2001 – volume “Trīs dienas”.
- 2005 – volume “Mirkļa liecinieks”.
- 2008 – volume “Spēle”, which includes the songs, recorded during 10 years in different studios, concert records and popular songs in English.
- 2009 – volume “Ieelpots” and the concert program performed by IGO in Latvian castles and estates.
- 2010 – IGO records the stories by Michail Zoschenko and issues the volume “Uguns”, featuring IGO’s poetry with background music by Janis Strazds.
- 2012 – DVD with the concert program “Ieelpots” (concert video), the volume “I am home”, which IGO recorded together with other popular musicians and dedicated to Kuldiga, the volume “Pasaule Ziemassvētku krāsās”.
- 2013 – in terms of the cycle “Uguns. Zeme. Ūdens. Gaiss” IGO together with the composer Valters Puce makes the concert program “Zeme” and issues the CD.
- 2015 – together with the composer Martinsh Brauns IGO makes the concert program ”Ūdens”.